Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bargain eBooks #88: My Name Is Joe by Stefan Bourque

My Name Is Joe by Stefan Bourque

Type: Novella

Genre:

Price: $2.99

Where to Get It:

Amazon.com (For Kindle)


"My Name Is Joe" is about a single middle-aged man living alone who learns he has terminal cancer. Suddenly, he is forced to look back on his life and what he finds is that his life has been largely out of balance - partly due to circumstance and culture, but a lot due to his own reluctance to step up and take life by the horns. Now he is out of time - something that we all take for granted -- and he is left to wonder if it is too late for him to make changes and find redemption. The question is: can Joe learn to live before he dies?

This book really moved me and I believe others will be, too. Something that really stood out to me is how interconnected we all are, and how our actions (or non-actions) can have a profound impact on those around us. The writing is fabulous, too. The author cared very deeply for the characters, and it shows.

What they're saying about it:

"Have you ever read a book or seen a movie that left you questioning life? I know that many of us travel through life with many questions on our mind: What is the point? Am I doing what the right thing? Is there a way for me to be more successful? To name but a few of the questions I am sure flutter through all our brains. After reading "My Name is Joe" I have come to realization that I have been asking the wrong questions. For each of us that question may be different. For me; the question is why is happiness so elusive? "My Name is Joe" puts you on the path. It may only hint at answers but, it definitely asks the hard questions. I have never read a fiction book like this! And neither will you!"--Amazon Reviewer


"I wasn't sure what to expect when I purchased my copy of My Name Is Joe and to be honest I was a little afraid of it. I don't normally read stories within this genre and especially ones about terminal cancer as I lost my father to the disease when I was a child. Having been a fan of Stefan's other books however, I had to give it a try and I'm VERY glad I did. My Name Is Joe reads as if it had come from someone who'd actually lived through the tragedy which Joe sadly found himself mired in. The emotion which runs through the story is very real - from Joe's anger at his situation to his sadness at missed opportunities. My Name Is Joe is a huge step - one giant leap - in a very different direction for its author and Stefan managed it superbly, flawlessly.

As the book came to a close I found myself sad that it was ending, both for Joe's sake and my own, but still, as I closed the book for the last time I couldn't help but smile. My Name Is Eryk, and I just made a new friend whose name is Joe."--Amazon Reviewer

No comments:

Post a Comment